Accord’s Sustainability Charter articulates the sustainability mission and vision of our industry.
Our three Principles of sustainability – environmental stewardship, social responsibility and economic progress – are underpinned by practical examples to drive industry best practice.
Environmental stewardship: Encouraging a voluntary, progressive reduction in environmental impact throughout the lifecycle of our products by innovative solutions and reduction in the amount of resources consumed, waste generated and emissions produced.
- Production and supply of products to minimise potential environmental impacts associated with production, packaging, transport, use and disposal, including use of materials, energy and water; protection of biodiversity; and generation of emissions, effluent and waste
- Supporting basic research to resolve uncertainties around environmental safety, as they arise
Social responsibility: Committing to a policy of proactive, voluntary and continual improvement over and above basic legal requirements so that our industry’s essential contribution in promoting and improving the health and quality of life of Australians, the communities in which we operate, and our staff is recognised and encouraged by society and government.
- Only marketing products that are fit-for-purpose and safe for their intended use
- Producing products that contribute to a better quality of life for all Australians
- Promoting safe use of products through transparent communication of safety and handling information across the supply chain
- Exercising corporate responsibility along the supply chain and beyond
- Promoting the health, safety and wellbeing of employees, customers, and communities by contributing to programs that enhance quality of life in the communities in which we operate
- Communicating the benefit of our products and contribution of our industry to the public and our governments
- Supporting basic research to resolve uncertainties around human health and safety, as they arise
Economic progress: Contributing to economic growth through innovative delivery, based on sound science and ethical standards, of hygiene, cosmetic and specialty products for use across consumer, commercial and industrial applications.
- Developing and embracing sustainable innovations
- Reinvesting in local communities through employment, infrastructure, investment and services
- Self-supporting – no government financial assistance on an industry-wide basis